My annual recap of the year:
1. Where did you ring in 2011?
At my aunt’s place. You can see a bit of the fireworks from her apartment so we hung out there and ushered in the new year together.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Don’t think I made any for 2011 and probably won’t be making any for 2012. Not so good at keeping resolutions!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Linli gave birth to Ian, the Lobos welcomed Isaac and I delivered Adam!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Don’t think so.
5. Did you know anybody who got married?
Lik Chee and Evelyn.
6. What countries did you visit?
Since I was pregnant for 2/3 of the year, we didn’t really travel very much or very far. Just Hong Kong, KL (Malaysia), Bintan (Indonesia), Macau and New Zealand.
7. Were you in school anytime this year?
8. How did you earn your keep?
9. Did you have to go to the hospital?
Yes, to deliver my baby by C-section.
10. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Patience and a kind spirit.
11. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Anytime I can get both kids asleep with minimal crying is an achievement!
12. What was your biggest failure?
No major failure I can think of.
13. What was the best thing you bought?
It’s a tie between the iPad and my Kindle, I guess.
14. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Adrian and his cooking. ;)
15. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Sigh. Not ready to talk about this yet.
16. Where did most of your money go?
Stuff for kids: books, toys, clothes, etc.
17. What did you get really excited about?
18. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Someone Like You by Adele
19. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Infinitely happier. This year kicked last year’s ass big time.
20. Thinner or fatter?
21. Richer or poorer?
22. What do you wish you’d done more of?
23. What do you wish you’d done less of?
24. How did you spend Christmas?
With loved ones.
25. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes, with my little baby boy.
26. What was your favorite TV program?
27. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
28. What was the best book you read?
The Sense of an Ending – Julian Barnes
29. What was your greatest musical discovery?
30. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby boy.
31. What did you want and not get?
A natural birth for Adam.
32. What were your favorite films of this year?
The King’s Speech.
33. What did you do on your birthday?
Had breakfast at Jones the Grocer, went to Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research at NUS for their Children’s Season programme, went to Little India and had thosai and Indian rojak before browsing around Mustafa Centre, ended the day with dinner and cake at Spruce with Debs and Simon.
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Maternity clothes for half the year! Now I’m stuck in the zone where maternity clothes are way too big and my normal clothes are still a bit too tight.
35. What kept you sane?
My friends and family.
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Anthony Bourdain! Heh. And Darren Criss. ;)
37. What political issue stirred you the most?
38. Who did you miss?
My friends who are overseas.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Family is the most important.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
How would you rate this year with a scale from 1 (shitty) to 10 (excellent)?
It’s been a pretty great year. 8/10!
I used to read A LOT but haven’t been able to read very much at all since the kids came along. It’s just too difficult to bring along a heavy book on top of all the other things in the diaper bag! And it’s also not easy to hold and turn the pages of a book with one hand when I’m cradling the baby in the other arm.
Which is why I’m so pleased with my new Kindle! I started using it last Tuesday and I’ve just finished my first Kindle book: Haruki Murakami’s 946-page 1Q84. Would not have been able to carry the print edition of that tome around for sure. I guess I won’t be buying as many printed books as before but my bookshelves are really full anyway and I need to clear some space for Anya’s books!
I had so much good food to eat this Christmas, especially at the party at Nav’s place. Adrian cooked his yummy mushroom risotto, the Gs brought an awesome ham, ET made an amazing salad that had seafood, avocado and grapes… I ate so well that day! Then G took all the leftover ham, mushrooms, potatoes, etc and conjured up a delicious stew. I also stuffed myself with several macaroons for dessert!
My evil husband went to play golf on Christmas morning so my sister picked me and the two kids up from my place and brought us over to her place for brunch cooked by Spink. In the evening, we all went over to my aunt’s place for dinner. Spink made a kick-ass French onion soup and bread & butter pudding and Adrian made teriyaki cod with rosemary potatoes. So the guys cooked, my sis washed up and my aunt entertained the kids. I couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas! ;)
As always, we spent Christmas Eve with Adrian’s family. We also celebrated Adrian’s grandpa’s 94th(!!) birthday. Adrian’s grandma commented that Adam looks like a Christmas ham. I’m gonna have to agree with her! :) Anya was really happy to get the car that she’s been wanting for the longest time.