We went to check out My Tree House at Central Library last Friday. It is supposedly the world’s first green library for kids! The environmental sustainability of the library is not just in the design and use of materials but also in the collection and programming. For example, the ‘canopy’ of the tree house centrepiece is created from 3,000 recycled plastic bottles collected from the public.
30% of the books in My Tree House focus on green topics like nature, the environment, and climate change while the other 70% are related to the theme of the enchanted forest. My favourite part of the library is the collection of non-fiction books for children targeted at specific age groups! I have problems answering some of Anya’s questions in a way that she would understand so the books really help with that.
Another interesting feature is the Weather Stump. It displays weather data (temperature, wind speed, wind direction and rainfall) collected at 5-minute intervals from the weather station at Marina Barrage. Really quite fascinating!